A kinetic bullet puller is a hammer-shaped device that is used to take apart an ammunition cartridge without damaging the components, such as the bullet or case. Here’s how it works:
- The cartridge is inserted into the puller and held in place by a metal ring known as a collet.
- The user strikes a table or other hard object with the puller so that the bullet flies forward and disengages from the case.
- The user opens the top of the hammer and removes the bullet, powder, and case.
The bullet and other individual components of the cartridge can then be reused or discarded as needed. Here’s a brief YouTube video that shows the procedure step-by-step.
A kinetic bullet puller is an essential item for any reloader. Here at Powder Valley, we carry kinetic bullet pullers manufactured by Hornady, one of the leading names in the ballistics industry. Like all of our products, they’re made to exceedingly high standards for long-lasting reliability.
We know that supply shortages are making reloading supplies harder to find than ever before. That’s why we work hard to keep our prices fair and our inventory well-stocked. It’s all part of being your one-stop website for everything ammo-related.
Below, let’s take a closer look at kinetic bullet pullers.
Why Every Reloader Should Have a Kinetic Bullet Puller
In an ideal world, every reloaded round would come out of the press absolutely perfect and ready for use. But, as we all know, the world is far from ideal. Here are some of the problems that can occur during the reloading process:
- Cracked or dented cases
- Excessive crimping
- Shaved or misshapen bullets
- Inadequate/excessive amounts of powder
- Improperly seated primers
- Improperly seated bullets
Any of these issues can prevent a round from loading properly into the chamber. Sometimes they can even cause the weapon to explode, resulting in death or serious injury. This is why it’s so important to inspect each cartridge carefully after it’s been through the reloading press.
But what do you do if you catch a mistake? Taking the round apart is the only safe option. That’s where a kinetic bullet puller comes into the picture. It uses simple physics to do the job, usually with only one or two light taps.
Safety Tips for Using a Kinetic Bullet Puller
You should always observe the following safety tips whenever you use a kinetic bullet puller:
- Wear eye and ear protection.
- Always use the properly sized collet for the type of cartridge.
- Give the puller itself a close visual inspection from time to time to make sure it’s not cracked, bent, or otherwise damaged.
- Use light to moderate force to dislodge the bullet; NEVER POUND THE PULLER.
By following these basic precautions, you should get many years of use from your kinetic bullet puller.
Powder Valley: Your Source for Reloading and Shooting Supplies
Besides kinetic bullet pullers, we also carry reloading powders, casings, wadding, shot, presses, manuals, apparel, eye and ear protection, and many other items. We use multiple shipping carriers for your convenience, and we offer combined shipping to minimize your hazmat fees.
A world of reloading enjoyment is waiting for you now, so place your order with us today. Remember, we can help you to shoot more and pay less than before.